Saturday, August 16, 2008

GRANDPA MICHAEL'S PARENTS

Larkin & Martha (Green) Michael



I just talked to my uncle, Rhonda Shook, on the phone to find out if he had any memories of Grandpa Larkin and Grandma Martha. He chuckled, and this is what he told me:

"I remember seeing Grandpa Larkin settin' on the front porch of his homeplace a-chewin' tobacca. He's put his fingers up in a V-shape and spit right through them."

I asked Uncle Rhonda what Grandpa Larkin did, and he said, "I don't believe none of the Michaels had a public job. They lived off the land. They might sell a few 'taters along the way, and they'd sell wool. All the Michaels had sheep. Havin' sheep must have come over to this country with them. I remember them shearin' sheep and sellin' the wool."

Thanks to Betty Ann (Michael) Romano for emailing me this picture. And, thanks to Uncle Rhonda for entertaining me over the phone with more wonderful stories.

Question: Does anyone have other information or stories about Grandpa Larkin & Grandma Martha?

(Posted by Tanya Shook Wilder)

No comments: