Monday, August 18, 2008

DELICIOUS TREATS

I have wonderful childhood memories of visiting my grandparents, Hoyle Hayes and Dulcie Ruth Michael Shook, on Sunday afternoons. Tanya and I would run into the house to see what treats Grandma would have cooked that day! Tanya always went for the biscuits, but my favorites were the cookies! They were so big and tasted more like a small cake than a cookie.

My Aunt Linda (Belinda Shook Orr) got the cookie recipe from Grandma Shook. This was no easy task since there were no measurements to the recipe! Grandma simply used her hands to measure portions!! So one day, Linda assisted Grandma in baking the cookies, and as Grandma threw in a handful of sugar or a pinch of whatever, Linda measured the ingredients!!

The following is the recipe for cookies originally baked by Grandma's mother, Etta Beard Michael. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have over the years!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup butter (no margarine please!!)
3 or 4 tablespoons of vanilla

* Beat the above ingredients together until smooth.
* Add in self-rising flour until the dough is very stiff. Linda says it equals about 51/2 to 6 cups of self-rising flour.
* Divide the dough into 3 portions. Knead portions in flour until they are not sticky.
* Roll out each portion 1/4" and cut out cookies. If they are sticky, work in more flour.
* Bake at 400 degress until golden brown!!!

Enjoy!

(Posted by Myra Shook, Zeb Shook's younger daughter)

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Thank you, Myra, for posting this recipe. Do you remember the pink icing that Grandma made for the cookies? I also remember walking into her kitchen and seeing the cookies over on the buffet behind the table in the kitchen. Yep, I always went for the biscuits, but those cookies were some of my favorites as well.

Tanya