Tuesday, August 25, 2009

REFLECTIONS FROM AUDREY SHOOK ROMINGER

I took notes one afternoon while sitting in Grandma's living room in Pigeon Roost as Aunt Audrey talked to me about her love for Carroll Shook and Aunt Ada and Uncle Tom...Here's what she told me...

"I loved staying down at Aunt Ada's house. She only had boys, and I loved to pretend I was her little girl. She'd let me wear her clothes, her dresses, and I always felt real pretty in them....
When the 1940 flood came, I was at Aunt Ada's, and Bradley was staying with Grandpa and Grandma Michael. I remember seeing them walking up to Aunt Ada's carrying their clothes as the flood waters were rising..."

She went on to talk about Carroll Shook..."Carroll was my hero. He always made over me when I'd stay down at Aunt Ada's. He would play with me and chase me around. He'd hide in the boxwoods around Aunt Ada's house, and as I ran by, he'd jump out and scare me. I remember crying when he left home. He joined the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) and left home to plant pine trees."

(Posted by Tanya Shook Wilder)

No comments: